DIY Nekter Almond Butter Bowl
I'm back with another post about food. I'd like to blame it on being pregnant, but let's be honest, I love hacking my food even when I'm not pregnant. However, I have recently been craving Nekter's Almond Butter Acai bowl (It's the PB bowl, but I substitute the peanut butter for almond butter since at least almond butter is a better nut!). I caved in once....and then twice...and then I realized this was becoming a sugar problem. I wasn't able to find the exact nutrition facts on Nekter's website (aside from calories which mean little to nothing to me), but I do know that acai bowls are secret sugar bowls trying to pose as healthy snacks. They are not. Agave, is another ingredient that tries to pose as a "healthy" sweetener. It is also not. Long story short...acai bowls are PACKED full of sugar, and there's not enough space in this post to list all of the reasons that I try to avoid regular consumption of excess sugar.
Ok, so where am I going with this? Well, just like upgrading my cheat meal of mac and cheese, I decided to upgrade and make my own Nekter almond butter bowl at home. And I must say, I was pretty proud of myself on this one. There's still a decent amount of natural sugar so it's certainly not an every day breakfast or treat, but this version packs WAY more nutrition than the Nekter version, so it certainly comes with less guilt and more of the good stuff.
Ingredients: (Please feel free to tweak this and try different ratios and let me know how you like it! This is just a jumping off point!)
- Approximately 3/4-1 cup of Organic, Grassfed Full Fat Plain Yogurt*
- 1-2 TBSP MCT Oil (start with 1 TBSP if you are newer to the high fat diet)
- 1 Scoop Collagen Protein Powder
- 1-2 TBSP of Raw Almond Butter
- A few TBSP goji berries (super high in anti-oxidants!)
- 1-2 tsp organic, raw honey - TEAspoons, NOT tablespoons :)
- 1-2 TBSP organic coconut shreds
- Handful of frozen berries (Bonus if you use only blueberries- less sugar!)
- Organic hemp granola (Bonus points to you if you omit this! I just LOVE the crunch though!)
- 1 banana
- Blend all ingredients (except granola and banana) until smooth. It will still be a creamy yogurt consistency. If you want something a little thicker, add some ice
- Top with granola and sliced banana.
Let me know how you like it! And send me over any variations you think of!
*Substitute an organic non-dairy if you wish. Please buy a plain yogurt! The flavored yogurts are FULL of sugar