Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Lactation Smoothie
I'm so fortunate that I have an abundant breast milk supply! I am also very fortunate that I am able to use this abundance to pump for a baby in need. She is a few weeks older than Rory and is allergic to all formulas, and unfortunately her mama is in a situation where she is unable to breastfeed due to latching issues (she had a lip and tongue tie) and low supply. I am so grateful my midwife connected us because her whole family is amazing and we've started to build a friendship!
In my efforts to pump as much volume as I can, I have started increasing some lactation ingredients into my diet....and let me tell you...my supply has certainly increased. I take a fenugreek capsule every morning and include various versions of other lactation boosting foods. One of my favorites is my lactation smoothie. Well, actually...my favorite is the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies...but I can't sit around and eat cookies all day...not if I want to get back into pre-baby shape!
The lactation boosting ingredients in this smoothie are the ground flax, brewers yeast and oats. When introducing any of these ingredients, including the fenugreek, start slow! If you go too big too fast, it could lead to engorgement. I hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as I do!
- 8 ounces milk (I often use raw milk but this baby is allergic to dairy so I use my homemade almond milk)
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons organic peanut butter (almond butter works great too! I rotate)
- 1-2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons xylitol (natural sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons organic ground flax
- 2 tablespoons brewers yeast
- 1/3 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional: healthy fats!)
Blend using a high powered blender. We have a BlendTec